What Rights Do I Have As A Grandparent?

What Rights Do I Have As A Grandparent?

Home / Family / What Rights Do I Have As A Grandparent?

The short answer: You do not have an automatic right to see your grandchildren or grandchild. However, you can ask the Family Court for permission under the Children Act (1989). The specialist team at ORJ can help.

It is an unfortunate fact that many grandparents all over England and Wales are, against their wishes, unable to have contact with their grandchild/ren due to a variety of reasons including divorce, family difficulties or the death of a loved one.

As a grandparent, you may ask “do I have any rights to see my grandchild?”

There is no easy answer to this question. Each case will depend heavily upon the individual circumstances of your particular matter.

The most effective way to regain contact is by seeking an amicable solution between all parties concerned. At ORJ our specialist family team can assist and provide an avenue for negotiation and communication on your behalf.

Unfortunately, an amicable solution is not always possible. As a last resort, consideration can be given to seeking the Courts assistance by way of an application for a Child Arrangements Order.  Before you can proceed with your application you will need to apply to the Court for permission to make the application. You may wish to read our article about obtaining the Court’s permission to make an application here.

If you are experiencing difficulties with contact to your own grandchild/ren, the Family Team at ORJ, with offices in Telford, Stafford and Birmingham, offer pragmatic, tailored and professional advice and support to assist you to pursue your right to see your grandchild/ren.

At ORJ our specialist family will be able to advise you in greater detail.

Call us now on 01785 223440 or email us

For further information, please e-mail us or call 01785 223440