01785 223440      team@orj.co.uk

What Rights Do I Have As A Grandparent?

Getting Permission From The Court

Many Grandparents have to suffer a lack of or no relationship with their grandchildren owning to family difficulties or other wider circumstances.

If you are experiencing difficulties in having contact with your grandchild(ren) or are being prevented from having a relationship with them, you are not alone.

At ORJ, we will advise you about your rights as a grandparent and in the first instance, try to assist you in reaching an amicable agreement with all parties concerned.

Unfortunately, this is not always possible, and, in some scenario’s, it may be necessary to consider issuing Court Proceedings.

As a grandparent, unless your grandchild/ren has been living with you for a period of three years within the five years prior to making an application you will not be automatically entitled to make an application in relation to your Grandchild(ren), without first obtaining the permission of the Court.

How do I get permission from the Court

When a grandparent applies to the Court for permission to make an application in respect of their grandchild(ren), the Court is required to consider the following factors:

  • The nature of the application you propose to make
  • Your connection with the child
  • Whether there is any risk the application proposed might disrupt the child’s life to such an extent they might be harmed by it
  • And where the child/ren are in the care of a Local Authority, consideration will be given to the authority’s plans for the child/ren and the wishes and feelings of the parents

In order to address the above factors, the Family Team at ORJ Telford will prepare a supporting statement together with your application so that the Court are well informed of your position together with a brief background to your case at the outset.

It is essential that prior to making an application to the Court application you consider seeking tailored and pragmatic advise. The Team at ORJ will be able to advise you in detail on the process, procedures and legal requirements together with an indication on the likely prospects of success in your particular case.

If you are experiencing any difficulties with contact with your grandchild/ren, the Family Team at ORJ, with offices in Telford, Stafford and Birmingham, offer sensible, tailored and professional advice to support and assist you in pursuing your right to see your grandchild/ren.

At ORJ our specialist family solicitors will be able to advise you in greater detail.

Call us now on 01785 223440 or email us